2006-09-22

Yearning for Saturday Mornings of Yesterday

As I lay the finishing touches of a business venture (one can only hope it works out. If not I'll be asking people if they want hot chocolate with their maple walnut doughnut at some point in the not too distant future), I had some time to spend with my daughter.

Lauren-Alessandra is 16 months and watches, surprise, cartoons. So I sat and watched 'Treehouse' with her. Bonding with my gal. While my brain was put to the test with 'Dora the Explorer' and 'Blues Clues' I immediately, I confess, yearned for Snagglepuss or Mutley.

Times have indeed changed. The cult of the Saturday morning cartoon is all but gone now. No more uncensored Bugs Bunny and questionable, albeit hilarious, stereotypes. No more Speed Buggy. No more Dungeons and Dragons. No more Captain Caveman. No more Flintstones. No more Rocky and Bullwinkle. No more Superfriends. No more nothing. I used to spend a good three hours eating sugar and watching shows early in the morning before beginning my long day in the outdoors semi-unsupervised.

Now it's education this and eat healthy nut bars that. I saw the development of this revolution unfold before my eyes well before Lauren was born. If you recall, it was the 'sitcom with a message' program genre like 'Saved by the Bell' (started by 'Degrassi Jr. High') that littered Saturday mornings with their tired trash cliches. Anyone who needed moral lessons from Screech had deeper issues to contend with.

Since hanging around with the little tyke, I pretty much know how to speak Spanish and roll a cigar* - though I argue Speedy Gonzalez was far more effective - and get to grandma's house using a sundial.

I'm not going to say the aforementioned cartoons were better than anything on today. Probably not. However, the great cartoons of today - Futurama, The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, King of the Hill and not so long ago Spawn (to name a few) are adult in nature and find their slots in the evening. Rather, I'm talking about injesting an abnormal amount of cartoons - good or bad - in a tight compact time span.

Somehow all these new animation shows seem so...so....hollow. Yeah, the quality is great - Baby Einstein is teaching about classical music now - but how I miss tawny Saturday cartoons that spoke nothing to me! In fact, it seems to me some shows and video games are extremely intelligent and challenging. I'm all for it.

But gosh, Saturday mornings were great no? Once upon a time there was a nice balance between fun TV, educational TV and going to learn about life outside as we burned off the sugar.

Is it me? Nah. Right?

*It's a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.