2005-01-07

Walking into Fate

She just appeared. I'm not sure how she did but there she was. An angel had to have put her there just as I turned the corner. We were just kids, 18 I think. I remember wanting, right there, to leave the military, quit the team, anything really just to be with her. 5 minutes was all I needed to know.

Now, I'm no natural romantic but I swear I could have recited any sonnet that night. She demanded engagement. Subtle and sensual temperament can overwhelm any confident kid walking the streets on a warm summer night ready to invade and conquer the world. Only it was not me rolling over anybody.

An unplanned exchange of glances was all it took. Something just locked us. Out of character I say, "Hi."

"Hi." I'll never forget the way she said it.

There was no need for complex intros. There was enough complexity within ourselves. I continued, "Where are you headed?"

The sound of her voice drove me crazy.

"I'm not sure. I'm not from around here. Any suggestions?" I look around. "Man, it's a big beautiful, cool place. I'm not sure."

She answered, "Are you trying to tell me a hip young guy like you can't point me in the right direction?"

"Sure. Follow me. There should be some live outdoor music shows tonight."

She smiled approvingly. An unstudied smile that simply pierced through me. What is going on? "I'm Alex by the way." "Nice to meet you, Alex. I'm Olivia." "Where are you from, Olivia? "Vancouver," she replied with a West coast easiness. We walked for 3 hours and stayed together until 5am. We watched the sunrise from an all night cafe.

I didn't need to kiss her. But I wanted to badly. Not to satisfy any selfish urges. To thank her for being with me. Sometimes things just happen.

Even if we don't ride into the sunset together or runaway like two tramps in a Springsteen song this girl has entered my soul forever. Nonetheless, I felt it in my bones that there's something going on here.

I was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.