2006-10-02

Don't Judge me as I Judge you

The other day I was treated to a dreaded Starbuck's coffee. The person I went with enjoys it so I went with it. It wasn't that bad. Until the insane and illogical $3.36 cdn (taxes included) for a small cappuccino (mezzo in Starbuck's lingo. Mezzo means 'half' in Italian). I digress in this opening paragraph.

We sat by a window overlooking the traffic go by in a quasi-quaint urban traffic infested setting. In front of us were two young girls in a study group. We sipped our coffees as I silently observed the environment around me. Soon enough, two fashion oriented ladies walked in. Smartly dressed in latest trend fabrics they clearly enjoyed the garnered attention they must have received throughout the day. They caught our eyes as well as the two young girls.

I must admit I do like when people dress with skill. Fashion does have a negative aspect to it, but how one dresses does lend some insights into a person.

If the two mature women were dressed for the catwalk, the two young girls were dressed to walk on cats. They were hardly models of high fashion. To each his or her own, right? Who cares? They were there to study - and evidently gossip.

But the young gals did care. It was clear by their mannerisms and smirks they were not impressed by fashion. My hearing is scant but I didn't need to hear what they were saying to know what they were thinking. Look, I don't want to defend the fashion muffins. Maybe they could hardly form sentences together, It's not the point. The point is that I could not possibly make that assessment without knowing them.

We do tend to associate well-dressed people with being, well, shallow. Maybe even dumb. Liberals in my university class were virulent with their comments about people who showed up to class dressed with, well, class. Apparently, to be smart you have to dress down. To be cool, you have to dress like you're poor (even if you're family is wealthy. To be a true artist you have to live unsure of where your next meal (or shower) will come from.

Of course, this is all nonsense.

Which brings me to a story. I was an indifferent student all my life. Perhaps if I took school seriously I could have possibly earned more out of my degree - maybe be a contender who knows?

I didn't. Nonetheless, I still managed a high enough grade point average to consider entering graduate studies. I opted against it. I figured if I was able to get a decent grade putting in half the effort then something is wrong with the system. I didn't want to be part of a club that wanted be as a member - To steal a quote from Groucho Marx. Besides, I wanted to get a real job and work.

In one of my political science classes, we were to write an essay about something - I forget about what. In that class, there were some smooth talkers and intelligent people. One of them I got to know mildly. A gay man to boot.

On the day the professor returned our graded papers I took mine and ran to my next class. During that history class, the aforementioned gentleman sat next to me. He looked over and asked me what I got on my paper. I began to reach into my binder for the grade. "You don't know what you got?" he asked. "I forgot to look. What did you get?" I asked. " A -" he replied.

"Good stuff," I told him. I wasn't surprised. He was one of the smart ones. I finally pulled out the paper and was pleased with my grade. I flashed him the 'A' and the nice review I received from the professor - a former member of the Liberal party.

The response?

"You? You got an 'A'?' Gee, thanks I thought. He was clearly taken aback. I wonder what could possibly make him react in such a classless manner. Well, there was more to the story that would be difficult to print here.

Suffice to summarize that I was pre-judged. I was one of those 'well-dressed' types. Just like those girls who cast unfair dispersions upon others.

I never saw that guy again. I'm all the richer for it in some way I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.