2005-08-23

Max: Is Back and Unemployed

I went to Wal-Mart for the first time in ages today. Crowded places already annoy me. Not surprisingly, it was a mad house in there. It was not a pleasurable experience in the least.

Look, get off my hairless back, I needed some hangers and other mundane items and Wal-Mart is the Mundane Palace. Besides, I was in a neighbourhood that had one and I was too lazy to head to my favorite place Canadian Tire.

Let's begin with irony. The Wal-Mart I went to was in the East end of the city.There is something curiously ironic in seeing all the burqua's and Muslim Arabs (Pakistani etc.) shop like consuming materialist in one of the icons of American capitalism. Sort of like when they wave pictures of dead suicide bombers. So much for 'thous shall not worship false idols'. Wonder what Francis Bacon would have thought about this. These are probably the same people who privately cheered on 9/11. Hey, it's my segment. If that quack 'The Commentator' can spew his crud'n crap, I could do so freely for my own bit.

Next, the god dang rudeness of the people in general. People are zooming around excessively with their carriages nearly bumping into one another just to get to the section they need to. It's so mad, it's funny.

In the U.S., customer service with a smile is paramount. Again, I speak loosely and generally, Americans tend to be more accomodating than the Quebec chapter of Wal-Mart where the workers tend to feel they are doing you a favor. Then again, this is the place where it tried to bully Wal-mart into unionizing workers even before the building had been built. 20% unemployment and they were dictating to Wal-Mart? Yeesh and Sheesh.

Last, the mind-numbing conversations you have to endure during th elong wait in line to pay. "Oh wos, those are gummy bears. Great gummie bears, eh? Look at the all the colors! Get the assorted falvors. No wait, the blue ones! My, Jean you sure know your gummie bears. You're the Queen of the Gummie's!Look at the TV Guide. Oh, look at how the chocolates are displayed. I forgot to buy garbage bags. Run to the aisle and pick one up. Run! Did you see Roberta? She has a bunyan on her foot. And on and on. Makes you want to scream "If you're not going to shut your f-in traps I'm going to glue shut your mouths and asses with those gummy bears."

Wal-Mart, like soccer and driver's in traffic, is a place to study the state of modernity. What I saw was not very encouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.