2012-10-29

Question And Expanding Our Conception Of Time On Earth

What if we're the only beings in the universe? Or if we're not alone, what if we're smarter than the aliens?

We've been conditioned through years of sci-fi flicks to assume aliens are superior beings but what if this is not true?

What if the aliens are dumb as fucks?

***

Speaking of earth and its place in the universe. The earth is about 13.7 billion years old. Take a second to digest that. The biosphere formed 4 billion years ago. Non-human life began hundreds of millions of years ago. Dinosaurs came and went. Man emerged several million years ago.

The sun, the medium sized star that gives us life, is 4 billion years old and is expected to live to about 10 billion years.

That gives man a long time to perfect itself.

Which made me think about all this climate change fears. My wife asked me about the melting polar caps and the polar bears and what I thought about that. I told her I'm too ignorant to offer an intelligent answer but my instincts tell me, given what I do know about man and earth, this is all part of the game. Species come and go. Continents collide. Mudslides occur. Fires devastate. Volcanoes erupt. And so on.

If we can just expand our time horizon, perhaps we could see that the earth is merely reconfiguring itself. It probably - heck, likely - has little regard for us. The extinction of polar bears would be sad but it's not life altering. I don't know what the positive consequence of this would be. Several species disappear everyday but we don't seem to lament those.

By taking this path, think of the unrealized possibilities of our abilities! Imagine what we could achieve. Mind you, that might be difficult given the sheer size of a billion years. Who knows what can happen! We see with our stock portfolios what one year can do for the love of Planet 9!

Taking this real big picture posture, it makes you realize how small the Al Gorians are. They're just fear mongering folks who have a short-term time horizon. The "do something now" crowd should usually be ignored if you ask me. If Al Gore was around during the dinosaurs what would he have done?

Would earth have given two shits?

Just enjoy the ride my fellow evolving chimps.

I have a feeling we'll be around for a long, long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.