2014-06-14

All Roads Lead To Pirlo And Stat Of The Day

Unbelievable performance by Andrea Pirlo.

Just pure elegance and brilliance. The game ran through him. He dictated everything.

I came across this comment at The Telegraph:

"Does anyone know how many cigars Pirlo got through in the game?
Coolest player in the WC since Socrates in 1982. Class."

Know what? He's right. He does remind me of Socrates. Great comment.

For the Azzurri, all roads lead to Pirlo.

Oh.

They, naturally, beat England 2-1. And the English and ESPN hype machine around the English was silenced.

***

Stat of the day.

Tale of two teams:

The last three major games against Italy has played against England (1990 World Cup, Euro 2012 and 2014 WC), the total score was been 4-2.

Conversely, the last three major games between Italy and Germany (1996 EC, 2006 WC and 2012 Euro) 4-0 for Italy. The gap widens to 15-5 if you throw in the matches at the 1970 and 1982 World Cups.

For some reason, Italy has a harder time against England - except for 2012. That was obscene how they man-handled England.



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/17/2014

    Damn, I lost my comment. I do hate blogger!!

    I was saying - in a much longer comment - I agreed with the Pirlo thing in toto and I do kneel to your superior soccer knowledge.

    But also - here I am the expert (16 years of insegnare la world literature, 20 years as giornalista freelance) - do stick man to the family story typa of thing I recenty read (very good!!) and don't be such a calabrian capa tosta like my wife incidentally who is more marchigiana but the Calabrian 1/4 is overwhelming: she doesn't agree, since she much prefers Sicilia to Calabria. She had a tato from there.

    An artist is not a critic, basically, my friend. As for my lousy music - and example among many - the Tobacconist close to my house (a music cognoscente) deems best the pieces that I deem worst.

    I think you got my point.

    You post so much che non ti riesco a seguire. Pls at least make the list of visible posts LONGER.

    Giovanni

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.