2010-07-01

Off With Their Heads!

Just finished reading The Hoonchbackovnotterdame. Sad ending. Fucking kings. I hate them. I hate the monarchy. If I was at the table with Monarchs I'd make fart noises with my armpit and then reach for the caviar with my hands and offer it to people. "It's good, ya?"

I know. For a guy who loves and studied history that's not a very history-PC thing to say, but come on, how can anyone revere royalty of any kind? Divine? Please. Again. Man is wretched and drunk for power whether they wear a wig or not.

Anyway.

In one part of the story, the Bishop of Verdun who had been imprisoned in a cage for 14 years pleaded to an coldly indifferent King Louis XI who was surveying cages with a couple of Flemish aristocrats. The mater of fact exchanges that followed between the three was enough to tempt the reader to throw the book at the wall. I couldn't do it because I was sitting in a barber shop.

It was a gut-wrenching scene and one that made me think about how innocent people monarchs unjustifiably killed - as this particular evil King would do to La Esmeralda.

I know the monarchy is held in reverence among Canadians (it's a part of our tradition) but I'm more like my French-Canadian brethren on this front. I don't feel like a subject to anyone. Of course, the French threw their allegiance behind the Catholic church. So what libertarian impulse they showed towards a British monarch was negated by their subservient manners to the Church.

Onto Hobbes' Leviathan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.