2010-07-22

Keeping Up With Trends Tricky

I detest trends. I don't get them. Ironic given I like fine threads - being the son of a tailor and all. I like to dress sharp and I've been known to drop a pretty penny on clothes. $350 shoes? Yup. $250 tie? You betcha. $100 cuff links? All the way baby. $2000 suits - well, it was free but you get the picture.

However, I tend to gravitate towards classic wear. I never did get the "this is in style" angle and I certainly don't give a shit what George Clooney or Brad Pitt are wearing. For all I know, they may have thought jogging pants were cool prior to their fame.

Styles tend to come in cycles. I mean, there's only a finite amount of cuts to a suit, right? Sure, some fall out of fashion permanently but most are reinvented by fashion designers and suddenly presto! It's "in."

I also love when "they" say "navy blue is in this year." What, like a basic colour like that falls out of favor? No, wait. I love when "white" is in style. White! What this means is we (companies) are ready to cash in on making you believe white was out of style and that we're giving you a chance to be hip once again!

I tend to ignore all that. Although, you try and find a variety of red shirts when companies don't produce them. That's when I go to a tailor and choose my own fabric and color. Screw Calvin.

I go with with what I like and what I consider to be timeless. Just because some company tells me something is all the rage doesn't mean I need to wear it. Too often I see people wear "trendy" things that totally don't suit them. For instance, those long, pointy shoes. It takes a special kind of people with a sense of style to pull that off. More often than not people completely miss the point and misuse the item.

Another example are those silly Victoria Posh Spice glasses. Sometimes you just have to look at something and say, "meh, it may be in but it's not my style." Have some personal taste and confidence for crying out loud! Some people look like billboards for Hilfiger, D & G, and Versace. They piece all the "right" brands together but look like they've missed the point by not wearing it well.

Do not misunderstand me. I'm not against fashion houses. They serve as a creative and inventive force in innovating the way humans interpret clothes and fashion. All I'm saying is you don't have to conform. Be a rugged individualist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.