2010-03-28

Jamie Oliver Wants To Make Americans In His Image

Between the ages of 13 and 19 I was a health fitness nut. I was aware of most of the health products (to numerous to name here) popular today before some trendy know it all used them. I was also militant about it. Looking back, I probably irritated people for not being like me. I was one of those guys who would try and "shame" someone into quitting smoking. I felt I was doing the right thing looking out for other people. I even convinced myself they were "ignorant" and "uneducated."

Sound familiar?

Then I grew up. I realized people are who they are. You can't force them to do anything they don't want to do. Coercing people to do what you feel is right is wrong on both a personal and state level. NO ONE has the right to tell ANYONE what to do.

Jamie Oliver is not wrong to want to educate people about eating healthy. However, I fear he may be going over board. His passion is commendable but when he deliberately involved the government to force people into his view, however well-intentioned (heck, even right), he over stepped his boundary in my opinion. Enough of involving the government for all our social ills. It's been demonstrated over and over and over and over and over that government intervention often distorts market forces and have little impact on people's lives. Coincidentally, mandating restaurants to post a calorie chart in their establishments, sounds like a good idea but something tells me it won't lead to the desired affect.

That's all we need, the government making people paranoid about calories without proper understanding of how to rationalize ingredients. Besides, most if not all responsible restaurants already post that information on their sites or have them readily available upon request. We've never had a problem with that. A little curiosity is a good thing. Because the government posts something doesn't mean squat. People are people - think back to my smoking story.

Anyway, I'm sure there are tales of where their input worked out but I wonder if it's the exception rather than the rule. Nor am I convinced Oliver is an authority on the matter.

There's a tendency among pop chefs to use all these healthy ingredients and foods without fully comprehending how to utilize them.

This "war on obesity" that Michele Obama has jumped on will fail. I don't say this hoping that will happen, in fact, I wish it would work out. But how has that "war on drugs" worked out? I'm also naturally suspicious of their interpretation of what's happening and the cure they choose to remedy it.

There's also a bit of irony in Oliver''s crusade. Years ago his show went to Italy to cook for the notoriously sophisticated Italian public in a series called "Jamie Cooks Italian" (or something like that). He was astonished at the food IQ of Italians and how strict and true to their regional recipes they were. He struggled to get into their mindset although he seemed to have figured it out.

Here was one of the great culinary civilizations that reached such a  level without the government intervention Oliver seeks for Great Britain and now the United States.

There's a powerful message in there somewhere.

I would be careful what you wish for. Years ago the Canadian government considered banning Parmigiano-Reggiano from entering Canada. Yup. They did. Something about the fermenting process not meeting "Canadian standards." I think the dairy lobby put them up to it.

My sister and I were incensed. It was the first and only time we actually wrote to an MP. I don't remember what we wrote but it went to the effect of "what do you suggest we eat? Cheap, orange processed cheese?" Fortunately, the government dropped their stupid proposal and I still enjoy PR on my pasta while my daughter loves eating thin slices of it.

That's right. I and I alone (and the chick next to me) decides what my kid eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.