2012-11-20

Free-Form Musings

Just wanted to add to the whole free or low-cost tuition for illegal immigrants. It's part of a larger trend we're beginning to see in all jurisdictions. The context may be different like it is here in Quebec, but the aim is the same.

Forgive me if it's not fully structured but just wanted to put it out there and see if it builds from here.

I understand the noble intention of helping out people but best to remember charity starts at home. It's also critical to consider that we're nations of laws. Sounds like we're compromising both basic tenets. In the first, Americans want to give education of children of illegal immigrants at "fairer" rates than Americans who have been here, legally, for generations. If you can't take care of the millions who already can't afford education, why are they being bypassed? How is this just?

In the second, you encourage more problems for the law when you implicitly signal it's open game.

I do grasp the logic of "well, better to educate them than let them rot in the streets." But there are valid concerns to consider.

The problem, of course, with that logic is it assumes new immigrants can't succeed under current laws. Past immigrants succeeded why not new immigrants?

As for educating, how does that fall under the responsibility of taxpayers to fund one's post-secondary education?

Let me use an imperfect example. My workplace.

I put in place a system where after one-year you get basic benefits. It helps to assure me that who I hire is willing to stay with me over the long-run. I'm investing in the employee so my policy is to offer "perks" after a certain period. One year is more than ample time to see if you're right for one another.

My original three girls waited their turn and are slowly getting what I can give. For example, sick days. I sometimes give various "bones" to keep them happy. I do this because they're basically my senior girls.

Now. I hired a second batch of girls. They haven't been around as long. However, they come and ask me for the same perks. If I give it, what will the other girls say?

They will, rightly, claim they had to wait why shouldn't they?

It's the same with how I pay someone. If I pay someone more than they're worth, I will it hear from someone else if they find out.

I have to be fair and consistent.

It's irrelevant my worker is a "new immigrant" who is just starting out here. That doesn't give them the right to bypass what's been established policy.

The best I can do is help out where I feasibly can.

We'll all survive.

I'm sure, if the kids of illegal immigrants (and let's assume their parents paid taxes - which I doubt), really, really, really value education and cherish the opportunity to remain in America, then they'll find a way to succeed.

On a basic human rights level, we just have to accept this in a liberal, civil society and help where we can. I believe in this.

However, we must tread carefully and not make mockery of those who played by the rules with honesty, dignity and patience - that includes immigrants.

The last thing you want to do is foster resentment among the natives.

As for my policy, of course, all policies are made to be changed over time. Life evolves and you have to also. There will be a time and place to do this. I recognize that.

But I can promise you, it will not come at the expense of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.