2012-11-25

Check-Out Line Failures

It never, ever fails.

During a visit to the grocery store, I managed to continue a time-honored ability to not pick the right check-out line.

Upon entering the store, I noticed the check-out lines were thin, if not empty. As I meandered about between aisles, I also observed there weren't too many people around. I thought to myself, pick what I need and out I go.

We're talking four items here. Rice flour, salt, pie fillings cherries, and fruit roll-ups.

It took minutes.

Walking down the aisle at a brisk pace, knowing full well based on experience how chaotic lines can become in seconds, I was met with, you guessed it, a line-up.

I couldn't believe it. All four lanes including the express ones.

I began to mutter disbelief under my breath like a cranky old man.

Now begins the process of assessing which line was going to move quickest. The express line had too many people. So I had the choice of the other two. One had more people but with less items, and the other less people with larger orders. I took the former. While the other gentleman that was eyeing the same line calculated he'd rather go wait in the other than stand behind me.

Lo and fricken behold, not only did the express line dwindle at supersonic speed (a rarity especially considering the cashier usually have to leave their posts to go serve someone returning cases of beer, buying cigarettes or wanting Loto tickets to feed their vices), the other line passed through without a hitch.

Mine? The lady in front of me had some items that didn't have bar codes. The bagboy had to go and check for the prices. Costing me all sorts of time. Meanwhile the guy who opted for the other lines was long gone.

My rotten luck is starting to really affect me psychologically. I need help.

It never fails. I always manage to choose the wrong line.

Always.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who always chosen the wrong line, let me give you some advice:

    It doesn't matter which one you choose.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.