2010-02-14

Popular Restaurant Not For Us

La femme de la maison informed me that she'll be going out for supper for a birthday party. My disciplinarian methods, it seems, have not worked. You can't keep a girl down I confess. Sigh.

Women. If you don't be careful, they'll end up like Ann Dvorak ('Cesca) in the original Scarface (1932). All fun and death. Now that's not a life is it?

I digress. I always digress. It's a weakness. Perhaps to disguise my pointlessness.

The restaurant they'll be inhabiting for a few hours is a popular one. To be quite honest, I don't know why. It's one of those high priced places pretending to be high end. It has all the decorum and presentation of a haute-cuisine but it really isn't. The food (Italian) is alright but I don't know how such a place can become popular.

They always say don't try and fool the customer. They (whoever the fuck they are) also say make sure you serve high quality food with excellent service. How many place you know rake it in providing none or one of these? Assuming of course it's not a front for something else.

This particular place, my wife has already had problems with. The last time she was there she asked for vegetables instead of pasta with her veal - she's allergic to wheat. Mind you, she's allergic to nearly everything. She's one step removed from being like Paul in the Wonder Years.

The waiter refused at first! She stuck to her guns - she rarely does that. She's not into causing scenes in any way. She's conservative that way - but this time she was irritated. An establishment with an extensive menu bragging about optimum service shouldn't be so petty. She had to take it to the manager. The manager, reluctantly relented.

"What a silly place," she lamented.

"And over rated. There are plenty of Italian restaurants, dives really, superior to that place," I replied.

The market is "efficient" so goes the saying. When it comes to food, it becomes more subjective. I've seen many great places offering outstanding food go under. While the reasons for this can be numerous - most among them being poor management and bad control of costs have little to do with customers - I've personally known a couple of well-run places that couldn't make it. Meanwhile, I see, too often, crappy places jammed pack. Line ups.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/15/2010

    A fit-issue model diagnostic model about a locally owned deli was my applied research paper required for graduation from college. The fit issue was bad management, bad management, bad management. Did I mention bad management? Not enough times I'm sure. Of course the place tanked.

    Bad management will not learn from mistakes, will not listen to employees, will not listen to customers, will not make decisions that will lead to improvement, or even survival.

    I am currently watching this occur with another small deli/store in the local market today. In sharp contrast is a cafe in the same city that is well run, well liked, popular enough to risk raising prices a little to offset an increase in prices charged to it. One store will likely do well for years, the other is doomed and the employees will lose their jobs in a place where a job is a hard thing to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Managers too often don't apply basic common sense. I'm always skeptical of a place where the owner/manager don't interact with customers. Restaurant/food is PEOPLE oriented business.

    My wife would be a brilliant owner/hostess. Very intuitive and caring for the needs of people. She anticipates well and is proactive.

    I can't stand when waiters/managers are reactive and leave it to us to take charge when there's a problem.

    They don't realize it's the simple things that can go a long way. In the case of me and my wife, we're not demanding. Just extend a hand.

    Once, I was served a sub-par espresso. When the bill came, the waiter gave me a new one and didn't charge me admitting it was not well done. That earned him a thicker tip for a small gesture.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.