2010-02-10

Greece In Default

I tend to be a progressive optimist in life. Other times, though, I can be a miserable motherfucker.

Take Greece and its default crisis for instance.

Sometimes I feel Western civilization is crumbling before our eyes and that it's the United States who represent the last hope on the edge of the cliff. I also have been queasy about the EU over the years. I studied it in school and talked to many a Uro-peen about it over the years. Lately, I've been pessimistic about its great experiment over the long run. I see too many disturbing under currents there - neo-nationalism, structural unemployment, expensive welfare states to name a few - that threaten it.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Greece, the base of Western culture, represents the first cracks in that experiment?

Other than that, I don't see how bailing them out will solve anything in any meaningful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.