2010-09-18

Gloria

Christmas Eve 1995 we was robbed. Definitely an inside job and if I ever find out who did it...

Anyway. They stole 852 of my cd's. Among them was Alive! She cried by The Doors. My mother bought it as a Christmas gift , ironically, a few years before. Of course, the 1960s and part of the 70s (except for my birth) past my mother as she had no idea the content in the album was pretty sexually graphic. One can say she was not paying attention. Her ignorance was my gain. It quickly became one of my preferred albums with a horny version of Gloria and excellent live rendition of Moonlight Drive.

Turns out, when I tried to buy the CD with the insurance check, it was out of print and if memory serves me correctly, the chap at the record store who helped try to track it down told me the only chance I had to get a copy was in Japan.

I liked The Doors but not enough to fly to Tokyo.

I eventually found a copy of the album albeit on vinyl in a remote record shop in downtown Montreal.

 

Gloria is an epic song. One that every band or singer in the whole wide world covers as a rite of passage of sort. Even punks like Patti Smith went for it:



Of course, it all started with Van Morrison Featuring Them:



Yeah.

3 comments:

  1. They stole 852 of my cd's.

    WTF? I once lost a lot of CD's around that same time, but I sold them because I was broke and later regretted it. I've tried to buy back most of that collection, but there are still big holes in it (and a lot of out-of-print stuff.

    An inside job? Hmmm.

    "Hey, The Commentator has over 800 CD's! Ya going in with me on this job, Joey? It's our big break. I been waiting to do a job like this all my life. No more petty theft for us. It's the perfect crime, and the best part is, he'll never figure out who did it. Come on, after we hit The Commentator, we'll finally be on easy street!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say an inside job because my stuff was stolen in a 3800 sq. foot house. My Armani's, my classic Nikon camera, my jewelry etc. My family was spared. Plus the cops suspected I was targeted.

    Speaking of which, one of the dumb asses out to serve, protect and chase down the assholes was obsessed with my father's Alfa-Romeo sitting in the garage.

    I was shell-shocked and he was blabbing on about the car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that Armani sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.