2010-08-10

Be Prepared

As we sat having dinner with guests, we saw a report about how the H1N1 is officially over.

I didn't even realize it had begun. Seriously, people will fall on two sides with this. Either you think it was better to be safe than sorry or you felt it was fear mongering all the way.

The government feels it did its job. From the same Globe article linked above:

"Although only about 40 per cent of Canada's population received the H1N1 vaccine, below the government's target of 70 per cent, the initiative still saved many lives. In Ontario, the vaccine averted nearly one million cases of H1N1, and as many as 50 deaths, according to a study published in the July issue of the journal Vaccine."

Wow. 30% didn't get it and survived to tell their harrowing tales?

***

One of the guests was my wife's cousin whose brother is our pediatrician. Boy did she have some stories to tell about how the government handled things. I realize for some, all went well, but for others - many others it sounds - it didn't. All anectodal I suppose.

How many anectodal stories make up evidence?

Anyway, the government told pediatricians, after they were told to purchase the vaccine, they couldn't administer it to their own patients. They were stuck with all that paella. Of which the government ended up refunding. It was poorly thought out from the onset and it took weeks before they could figure their asses from their elbows.

From the same Globe:

"The World Health Organization is expected to declare the H1N1 influenza pandemic officially over in the next week.


That means it will be downgraded to a typical seasonal flu – not a global killer. As the end approaches, many may wonder whether public health experts were crying wolf over H1N1.


In fact, Ottawa behaved responsibly in introducing a $2-billion universal vaccine program – even if it was hobbled by logistical problems, a confusing communications strategy, and a tardy roll-out."

Notice how the ends justify the means. I don't know what "responsible" means anymore. The fact they acted but poorly executed it doesn't mean they were responsible. Nah. Responsible is too flattering. Try lucky.

***


In his office alone, there are three doctors handling roughly 1200 patients. Somehow the state felt it smart to have those people go and wait like chattle at a former Canadian Tire outlet to get the vaccine.

They wanted control of the entire operation.

That's the part of state control I can't stand or stomach. It pissed me off I couldn't go to MY OWN doctor if I chose too. The mash unit around our house - and that's what it looked like - apparently went well. I asked a few people coming out. No, I wasn't stalking. There's a Pharmaprix there (owned by Shoppers Drug Mart) and each time I went I asked a person.

Still. Call us irresponsible fools but we opted out of the festivities. By the way, I got influenza in the mid-1990s. I don't know if it's similar or even the same thing, but the symptoms I read about H1N1 were exactly what I went through. It was nauseatingly and devilishly awful. I watched a lot of game shows those 10 days.

My wife's cousin father was considered high risk but was told to return four times before he could get the vaccine. My father got it on spot. Let's play roulette. 4. Red.

The other thing was how our government felt it was appropriate to give the vaccine to inmates before, you know, lawful citizens. 

My head is spinning so I shall stop here.

But I'll let the Globe editorial staff have the final last fearful words:

As the H1N1 pandemic ends, Canadians cannot afford to be complacent about the proven value of flu vaccines – or about the probability of the next pandemic.

I lied. My blog so I'll get the last word: Make sure you prep the populace for the next pandemic.

***

From Canada's Public Health Agency website:

While we would aim to vaccinate 100 per cent of the population, from observing seasonal flu shot campaigns, we know that even in provinces with free universal access vaccination programs, usually less than 50 per cent of the population will choose to be immunized.



Ordering 50.4 million doses of pandemic vaccine amounts to ordering 50 per cent more than we would expect to use for a normal seasonal vaccination campaign.


The Government of Canada is confident that 50.4 million vaccine doses will be sufficient to meet the needs of every Canadian likely to need and want protection.

You do realize they wished they could enforce this on people. Why, I'm surprised we weren't coerced into taking it by law.

I don't mean to be skeptical. I understand if people feel the government acted properly. To them, it was a good way to spend $1.5 billion. Glaxo's new name is: Ka-ching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.