2010-08-11

How The State Contributes To Personal And Business Debt

Boy, am I learning a lot starting a business. Sadly, it's confirming a lot of my suspicions.

One increasing worry I have is finding a qualified director - qualified as defined by the government. There are plenty of good candidates that can assume the position but (illogical from my side) obstacles from the government prevent it.

The other thing is capital. You have a finite amount at your disposal. However, with the government constantly tinkering with day care rules, it can end up busting my budget. I fear I'm there before I even open.

To begin, it takes quite a bit of substantial up front money to even consider beginning. At least, $35-55 000 and many cases more. The average is $80 000 - which isn't much really.

An architect specializing in this domain will run you minimum $7000. You have to furnish the school. Costs there average $25 000. You need lee-way to pay bills, rent and salaries for at least six months; but I calculated three and ratcheted it down to two since my list is full. Figure another $20 000 there. But like I said, this figure is fluid because if I open with a full school it will be irrelevant. That's why I say $35-$55 in my personal case. I need an oven. Let's say $1000. Then there's all sorts of unforeseens. For example, the government demands I have a permit for outdoor swings. Those swings have to be inspected, at my cost, but an "expert."

Have you ever put up a playground swing set? I have. It's not bloody rocket science. It doesn't take an engineer to put it up.

It's not normal, as I've repeated, to demand so many permits. Luckily, Quebec is not quite in the same boat in terms of revoking and restricting permits as other jurisdictions on the continent (I think) but it's still an added unnecessary pressure and cost. And you don't play ball you don't get anything. In fact, the municipality I'm working with is so pathetically robotic and unfriendly, it's straight from the bizarro world or a Monty Python sketch.

"Here's the letter you requested from the government"
"Alrighty. Thank you. Oh-oh. It's not the original. Sorry."
"What do you mean? I made a copy and the original will be mailed."
"Until I get the original you aren't getting the certification of occupation."
"But the letter is signed by the same person who will send the original only it will be on a sturdier piece of paper."
"Sorry."
"Will you reimburse me for all the time and gas I consume?"
"Don't be frivolous, man. It's all for the best and common good. You may not see it, but we do. Now if you don't mind, lunch begins in 15 minutes and I want to prepare for it."
"Prepare lunch for 15 minutes?"
"Guards!"

One area where the state can stress yur budget is with their regulations. It'll cost me at least $10 000 to bring the house which was already a PROVINCIAL public day care to begin with up to the new codes (which apparently change often). That's 10gs I could have used.

Here's the thing. I asked many people about how the government does things. I asked a couple of consultants with a combined 50 years experiences in both private and public day care if the regulations make sense. Anything can be justified with the government they replied. The school was fine as it was in their opinion. All it needed was to update things. Yet, I'm forced to break walls and readjust a school with 9000 sq. feet.

That's how they discourage people. Most would turn around and say no. It's too tight to play that game. Newbies hoping to get into the business would be squeezed but those already in can easily absorb the hit.

Me? Full speed ahead, Captain Kirk. Full throttle. I hope I don't fall but the government has already cost me a rent and now the renovations. I'm in too deep. I'll just have to figure out a way to wheel and deal until I get my official permit.

***

Which got me thinking. Why is the government so invested in something like daycare? The thing about seven dollar a day day care (or in-vitro and the like) is that it's a perk and a privilege paid for in part through equalization payments. In other words, the rest of the country helps subsidize Quebec programs in a province that acts like it's not part of the country. Of course, the reverse can be said with provinces who take Quebec's portion but out of the have-nots, it's Quebec that lives beyond its means. For a state with independent aspirations we sure look like teenagers unwilling to cut the chord.

It makes little sense and if I were in Alberta - who don't have this luxury - I'd be peeved.

If the government insists on being in education and day care then the least it can do is put people in charge with actual, seasoned experience in it. I'm fed up of watching technocrats, bureaucrats and fonctionnaires with absolutely no expertise setting public policy here. The Minister of Education (of which there should be none in my hard core opinion) should be a TEACHER with all the credentials. Not a politician seeking to further their career.

One day we'll see a real estate agent running education.

It's asinine.

Just my thoughts.

Always open to the contrary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.