2010-08-07

Spark The Slut Up

I sparked up my - slut - propane Bar BQ for the first time - ever - last night. Growing up, we had a hand made (by my cousin) brick oven. Thing will withstand an atomic bomb. While it was rustic and wonderful, the main drawback was that it took up to 45 minutes for the charcoal to burn. With a Bar BQ, ignite and wait about 10 minutes.

One thing is for sure, I plan to have an outdoor pizza oven in my backyard one day.

So what did I make? I made chicken with lemon juice/peel and orange juice/peel and fresh sage. Marinated for over 2 hours. I cooked my father a nice, thick $12 T-bone steak with chipotle seasoning and fresh rosemary and tried a veal brochette a-la Provencale.

The rest included a "campagne" loaf of bread, local corn on th cob, garden tomatoes, rapini, tiny Calabrese black olives, basil risotto (in organic vegetable broth which serves as a nice substitute if you don't have home made broth) and pico de gallo.

Topped off with a bottle of French and Italian wine.

As you can tell, it was a mix of French-Provencale-Italian-Mexican.

2 comments:

  1. Chicken and fish are favorites on my grill. We also roast peppers, and pineapples. I use a cast iron pan, filled with burgundy and also cook mushrooms on the fire. Oh yes, Greek coffee also ends up getting made over the fire sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to try pineappls. How high the heat and for how long? Not too long or strong I imagine?

    I have to try corn on the cob.

    Hm. Greek coffee, eh? Interesting.

    Greek-Lebanese-Turkish coffee. One and the same or marked differences? I enjoy "Lebanese" coffee in a Lebanese restaurant. Many of our friends are Lebanese/Jewish and drink it.

    Thicker and not as flavorful (varietal) as Italian-French roasts though. It feels after a while you're drinking mud.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.