2008-12-18

Phrases I Don't Get

"It's a small world."

I hated that ride at Disney. It was so, so, PC.

So the world is a global village now. Hence, the term being "inter-connected" thanks to the Internet.

But how deep is that inter-connectedness?

Is the Internet a mirage?

Literally speaking, the earth is huge. It's not like I can take a cab to Holland. Yes, it's true we can communicate instantly on MSN or Twitter with people from all over the world and feel, well, like they're right next to us.

Don't be fooled. I speak to Americans, Frenchmen, Dutchmen and Italians on a regular basis but how much of these countries do I (we) really know? Aside from readings and talking to people of course. By this, I mean how profound can one get with another culture by the keyboard of a computer?

I tend to believe if someone is naturally in tune with cultures and history then their ability to understand them from afar is possible. By contrast, I'm sure it's possible to travel the world and still know nothing.

By 2050 earth's population is expected to peak at 9 billion. We sit presently sit at around 6.7 billion. That's a lot of people. On this level, I would have to reject it's a small world. On a kindred, spiritual level, ok, you can convince me. But I still have to buy a plane ticket.

It's hard to grasp world's population. One way to rationalize it is by observing your neighborhood, town, village or suburb. Pick a street. Chances are you don't know anyone on it. Am I right? What's the population of your town? My city is around 350 000. My neighborhood is probably around 20 000. I know maybe 50 people. I'm just guessing to make a point.

Just the other day I had to deliver something to someone 1km away from me. When she opened the door it struck me how I can know nothing of someone yet live so close to them.

It's at that moment I thought about being in a small world.

Yeah right.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12/19/2008

    This post is very profound.

    I'll try to comment whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.