2008-12-14

Looking For Success

A couple of years back I wrote a TV script. I knew at the time my idea was original. Nobody had tackled the subject I covered.

But what's "original" in my mind may not be to industry people, right?

Well, I've been submitting my script to agents and TV writers and the response has been the same: Very interesting idea and indeed original. I had one production house express interest - and then I never heard from them again. My fear is that one of these people will steal my idea. Even though it's protected with the WGA. But what choice do I have? I don't live in California. And with all this talk of it sinking after a massive earthquake I'm not sure I want to.

The moment I knew I was onto something was when I emailed the President of NBC - I think his name was Kevin Reilly. He responded by saying he wanted to know more about my idea. We exchanged a few emails and it looked like I was catching the elusive break everyone looks for.

Alas, it was not to be as for some reason he wasn't aware I was a "third party" solicitor. Nonetheless, it was a moral victory and I continued to believe in the script.

My experience, I should disclose, in script writing is scant. I have to learn to format and all that. However, to me these are details. The content and idea should come first. That's the way I see it. I can learn the rest.

Breaking into TV is next to impossible. Imagine for an outsider like me! I have a better chance of breaking into a bank. It's that hard.

But I believe in the idea. Someone is bound to grab it.

So I continue to shop it. I recently entered a contest. I didn't make the semi-final cut. I was perplexed. Thankfully, the talent/writer/agent with experience in the business offered (and continues to kindly provide) his insights. He explained why I didn't make the cut. Apparently, I was penalized for the "this is way too original" problem. He loved the idea. He feels it has legs.

I know. Moral victory. But I'm getting fed up with these victories. If this keeps up, I may earn a Pyrrhic victory. Pyrrhus died after being struck, if you want to know, by a tile thrown from a roof during a fight. Nice.

You know the line in the song 'One of these nights' by The Eagles? Yeah, you know, the one that goes "I can see her but she's nowhere in sight." That's how writing feels. You feel success but it remains invisible.

I've often people on TV say if you don't have an original idea forget it. Well, I have one. Yet, I get "penalized" for it. The agent explained the sad state of affairs further by saying TV execs are notoriously unimaginative people. You need to clearly show them how the idea would succeed.

Great. Bankers run TV?

I've started on a movie script. Why not? It's yet another avenue to write for me. The ideas ooze out of my head. What can I do? I have to put it somewhere, no?

I hear screenwriters have an "easier" go at things.

Whatever.

For now, I write because it's what I was meant to do.

We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. I knew a girl in Toronto years ago who had a natural gift for writing musicals that could be used by church choirs and drama groups. There's actually about a dozen music publishers who do quite well selling to that market, and while sales are brisk, it's not considered highly competitive on the creative side. Or so we thought.

    One that she wrote was quite elaborate, with great harmonies and dramatic ideas, so we suggested a few companies she might submit it to.

    In the end, nothing ever came of it. The problem? She was from Canada. The answer was the same everywhere: "First, you need to move to Nashville."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid the list of people like her is too long.

    Andy Kim told me about the "Canadian" stigma too. That's why he split Montreal at 16 to make it in New York. His story has a better ending but it wasn't easy.

    I was told the same thing. In my case it was New York. You need to be at the epicenter.

    The problem is that by the time I realized I wanted to write, I was too invested here to move anywhere. Unless a special offer came along.

    I tell you what. I may consider it one of these days. Just to see...

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.