2011-11-24

Uncovering Coolidge

One of these days, I thought to myself, someone is going to revisit Calvin Coolidge's Presidency.

"Reagan also liked Coolidge's position on taxes. Coolidge contended that reducing high marginal tax rates would produce more revenue for the government, not less. He argued that the money saved by taxpayers would be plowed into new investments. As you know, he engineered substantial tax-rate cuts. He was right about the increased revenue."

I think there's not much doubt - in fact, I'm ready to say there's no doubt - that's exactly what would happen. The tendency for business is not to "hoard" money. It's to reinvest in order to grow. There is a small problem with the statement mentioned above though. What if households save too much and do nothing?

Nevertheless.

That's such a simple thought process it should be an axiom - if it isn't already.

I know if I didn't have all these taxes to pay (and there's a s-load of them hidden or otherwise; much I feel are completely wasted), I'd have double my staff already and likely in a stronger financial position.

Taxes are an inefficient measure when it comes to organic economic growth.

Meh.

It's all for the "common good" I'm told.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.