2011-11-06

Spotlight On Cardano

Girolamo Cardano was a great Renaissance mathematician who basically invented art of probabilities.

Cardano sits among other masters of mathematics like Euclid, Descartes, Bernoulli, Cantor, Gauss, Fermat, Blaise, Hilbert, and Riemann for example.

It may as well been him to cover probabilities since he was a gambler. I wonder how he'd do against the NFL spread and in Vegas.

Still. Despite the rationalism (though to be a mathematician you have to be somewhat mad...in a good way), Cardano was heavy into something called metoposcopy which he invented. It is the art (pseudo-science) of reading lines on the forehead. Over time, he came up with over 800 facial features.

Speaking of Renaissance Italy, this period of course is known for the rediscovery of Ancient knowledge and the explosion in art, architecture, science and technology that launched the modern era. It even financed behind the scenes the age of exploration by consolidated powers like Spain and Portugal.

But one aspect of Renaissance life not often discussed, despite the arrival of humanism and reason, is its fierce interest in the occult and other superstitions. Remants of the curious obscurity of the Dark Age no doubt. Cardano, mentioned earlier, is one example. Tarot cards are another example. In fact, it is during this period when astrology took flight.

***

Cardano: Come my son, lemme see that head of yours.
Galileo: Ma, sure. I got nothin' better to do.
Cardano: When I was your age we spent a lot of time outside.
Galileo: It hasn't changed much. My sources tell me you got a tip on the Sienese race?
Cardano: Silent my young lad. Hm.
Galileo: What? What is it?
Cardano: Hm. Madonna.
Galileo: Lucky stars, what are you writing down? Are you drawing? What the cazzo?
Cardano: Show me your petsel.
Galileo: My what?
Cardano: Never mind. I have the answer to your destiny before me.
Galileo: Well?
Cardano: Well, Leo...
Galileo: Leo? Who the fuck calls me Leo? I'm not a court lackey. It sounds so, "hey, Leo! Fetch me some bread you wretch!"
Cardano: It'll cost you.
Galileo: Cost me? For what? I'm 10.
Cardano: Ok. A wager?
Galileo: Ok. I bet you're an idiot.
Cardano: Now, now. Is that a way to treat a great math mind?
Galileo: Whatever. So?
Cardano: I see much, misery but potential in this head of yours.
Galileo: Misery? Potential? I need details.
Cardano: Well, if you see this line and compare the grooves and waves on this one, it may or may not suggest misery or happiness. Not sure. Dammit. I had it all figured out.
Galileo: I'm outta here. I need some cinnamon smokes.
Cardano: No wait!

Long pause. Stares at forehead.

Cardano: I got nothing.

Galileo turns and leaves.

Cardano to himself: That boy is going to change everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.