2011-11-20

They Can't Take This Blog From Me

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dancing and singing to George and Ira Gershwin's 'They can't take that away from me.'

A song Astaire made, I believe, famous.

I don't know if there's "less" talent today in the arts. I reckon the list of achievements aren't what they used to be but maybe it's a question of misapplication. It's impossible a Ginger Rogers doesn't exist today. Rather, it's likely the avenues for people like her are smaller now.

Either way, we don't see such elegance and subtle beauty anymore. In fact, is there a word bigger than 'beautiful' when looking at this? It's the quintessential American art form. Things do seem more vulgar these days. Maybe it's plain a simple of changing taste?

3 comments:

  1. We are swamped with instant stars being blown out of proportion by all the communication tools we now have that the likes of Astair and Rogers did not have. Our mind can not absorb all of this.
    In the mass we miss the real stars unless we are very careful to avoid the hype and
    commercialization of talent.
    Change of taste? Maybe, I'm not sure, more like saturation and snow blindness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's wrong with vulgar? I happen to like vulgar. I can relate to it.

    You are right, though, there are no real stars today. But, then, the movie industry is nothing like it used to be, is it?


    Now we have people famous for being... famous. I give you Paris Hilton, the Kardashians, and just about anyone on "Reality" TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like vulgarity too.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.