2008-07-09

Speeding Fines Hit New Levels

Quebec has speedy and impolite drivers that are not to fond of observing basic road etiquettes.

We drive real fast here. So much so it prompted police to introduce new speeding fines.

Signs on the highways (I've always argued road signs which are meant to prevent accidents and deaths should be in both French and English. It's simply the right thing to do. But that's me) are now warning motorists that driving at 130km/h (7omph) will cost drivers $895 and demerit 10 points. If that won't discourage people nothing will - well, outright arrests maybe.

130 km/h is nothing. Modern cars get up to that in no time. I remember taking my father's Alfa-Romeo to 240 km/h once. Exhillirating but dumb.

I think the fines are justified but I fear it's somewhat misplaced. It seems to me we need to build and nurture responsible drivers from the ground up. Fines may work but do they change mindsets? People will still drive aggressively.

When one thinks of it, do we really need to go 130km/h? Of course not.

Which made me wonder why do cars go so fast anyway? The way I see it, cars should be capped at 130-140 km/h. If you want to go faster you should get a special license stipulating you took appropriate courses training you to operate fast machines. In reality, too many people have no clue what they're doing behind the wheel.

North American society tolerates way, way too many accidents and deaths on our roads. So the fines should be welcomed. In many ways, it's barbaric that we've not taken enlightened measures to deal with this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.