2008-07-11

Mom, Who Am I?

Being the intermittent vain sort, I like to check myself out on the net. It's very much akin to looking in a mirror. You may not like what you see but it's there and you can't do anything about it - this works the other way around as well. You take the good with the bad.

It's a few times I notice this blog labeled as "conservative" and in some cases (as is with Blogshares to which I'm not a member) I'm classified (more like generalized) as right-wing. Which of course is erroneous.

And what exactly do they mean by "right-wing."Pinochet? Wolfowitz? Fascism? Or do they simply group what they interpret to be "conservatism" all into one heading to save effort and time? To which I would counter, learn and pick up a book and leave the big words aside until you fully comprehend them.

I don't belong to any particular ideology or "ism." At least, consciously.

Is this a bad thing? Does this make me a "fence-sitter?"

It's unfortunate that people running sites use big words to describe blogs. I do my utmost to uphold the great traditions of Western intellectual thought. Some weeks I may sound more "conservative" (though my character is very much so) and other weeks I may come off as "liberal." In either case, I certainly don't please extremists on either side. A neo-con or neo-nationalist or neo-liberal or neo-anything won't see much on my blog.

Heck, did Man of Roma (link on the side bar. I'm too lazy to do so here) not recently leave a comment on my blog wondering if Italians accept the any form of utilitarianism? Now that's getting into the heart of this blog. Well, this is what I hope anyway.

It is perhaps during my more "right-wing" weeks a place like Blogshares happened to read the posts published here. Of course, I invited them to reconsider the label but as of yet (and it's been quite some time) nothing has been done. Ah, such snapshot times we live in.

Maybe there's an overall trend and feel to this blog. I can't say. Out of over 1200 posts, my impression is that it's not easily defined. Even the blog itself can't find a "category" to fit itself under whenever I join groups, organizations, affiliate programs etc. Often I find myself under "Society" and even "Miscellaneous."

God, I'm may even be a Misc. now. Here lies "The Unknown Blog."

In the past, because I may have attempted to rationalize (which probably came off as defended) America's invasion of Iraq I've been forever stigmatized. I've also taken the position of rather than point out the bad (which is done far more effectively elsewhere on other blogs and websites) I prefer to explore the positives.

On the issue of ideology. The West has a formidable and brilliant liberal tradition to which we must forever safeguard and appreciate. Conservatism, once an irksome and eloquent take on humanity, has become a respectable and elegant alternative to liberalism in its modern form.

I try to balance and keep all this in mind: that is, consider the historical as well as the contemporary.

Not an easy task. After all, sometimes, well, you have to take a stand, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.