2014-02-26

Blunting And Dealing With Axes Looking To Grind

A (great) story in Lapham's Quarterly from 1903:

The coat of arms of the human race ought to consist of a man with an axe on his shoulder proceeding toward a grindstone. Or, it ought to represent the several members of the human race holding out the hat to each other. For we are all beggars. Each in his own way. One beggar is too proud to beg for pennies but will beg a loan of dollars, knowing he can’t repay; another will not beg a loan but will beg for a postmastership; another will not do that but will beg for an introduction to “society”; one, being rich, will not beg a hod of coal of the railway company but will beg a pass; his neighbor will not beg coal, nor pass, but in social converse with a lawyer will place before him a supposititious case in the hope of getting an opinion out of him for nothing; one who would disdain to beg for any of these things will beg frankly for the presidency. None of the lot is ashamed of himself, but he despises the rest of the mendicants. Each admires his own dignity, and carefully guards it, but in his opinion the others haven’t any.

He could have added, people want something for nothing if they can get it.

Anyway. I've always been aware of what's depicted in this story. It, truth be told, has always - I think - held be back since I can't bear to come off as a beggar; as someone trying to take advantage of someone. Which is why I'm terrible in sales - even though I'm constantly told I'd excel at it for my apprehensions are nothing but a product of over thinking. But I could never shake the notion that the other person knows I want their money despite selling a good product in return.

This wretched fear of being tagged a beggar has ruled me more than I think.


1 comment:

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.