2010-04-13

She's A Natural

The education department continues to set schools on a terrible course. We're fast approaching a situation where classes will be split between regular students and special needs students. It doesn't take a genius to figure out this is a recipe for disaster. The government is in a fine pickle because there's a growing shortage of teachers. What a mess.

The other day my sister was going on about the same tired liberal-esque drivel and assumption the state is the best mechanism to solve a society's problem. My brother-in-law, hardly a political type, sat and listened along with me. I injected my odd comment to set her on a different course to let her know, well, there are different ideas out there and to further point out what I consider to be faulty assertions. It was all amicable.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear my 12 year-old niece chime in with her opinion. She's an athlete not an academic. You'll find her on a basketball court rather than read a book; unlike her younger brother who's the exact opposite. But the chick has cool, street smarts and sense. As she listened to the conversation she said, "but what do people in government know about what teachers really need?"

I was blown away by that proclamation. Already to hear it from an adult is refreshing but froma pre-teen it's pure delight. "She's a natural" I said to her parents much to the semi-chagrin of the mom. She didn't stop there as she embarked on an "ergo" route. "What do people in government.." I interjected with "bureaucrats, honey." "What do burrowcrats know about how hospitals should be run? It makes sense to have doctors run health not politicians who have other interests."

Blown. Away.

I wanted to adopt her right there. Alas, I settled for an espresso and a wink to my brother-in-law. "Sorry, sis. You lost this one."

***

Of course, this doesn't mean there aren't enlightened ministers or civil servants. One need to only read Paul and Man of Roma who are kind of enough to take the time to impart their collective well-aged wisdom on this blog to know this is true.

However, I fear (and this is anectodal on my part) the majority aren't. I've never heard of a stringent test needed to become one. There are no special schools to groom people like days of past to serve the public with an enhanced mind. Most civil servants I meet are remarkably daft. Some treat you with contempt. I have no use for them.

I mentioned education earlier. I don't think anyone can seriously argue we aren't more educated and healthy - as a whole - than any period in history. We've done well to spread the love if you will. I always wonder, is the "dumbest" person in a highly educated society smarter than the "smartest" person in another period? Does the average citizen today possess more knowledge and wisdom than, say, a politician did five hundred years ago? Of course, I do not include pure men of genius like Moliere, Galileo, Plato and the sort in this lot. I mean, specifically, as a species and a living organism, I wonder if an intelligent person today was transported back to the past, how would he fit in intellectually, morally etc.?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug, Commentator. Over my years in service I have met the best and the worst. I must admit that the best are very often hampered by all those union contracts that aim for the lowest common denominator...but some of the very best end up doing things in spite of all. Unfortunately what they manage to do is much less than they could.
    In my own experience I managed a few things with a damn the torpedoes attitude and I dodged a few but it hardly made a dent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.