2010-04-22

Contemplating Renovating Overhaul At Royal Victoria; Build It And They Will Come

I was at the Royal Victoria hospital, the other day. The hospital, for those interested, was built through the philanthropy of Scottish immigrants - oh, how we've come a long way! The government acts as a philanthropic donor now.

As I walked up to the beast overlooking the city; architecturially designed in the "Scottish Baronial" style which was part of the Gothic revival in the late 19th century, I wondered if the place had its time.

I don't mean we should gut it but with all this talk of the superhospital (more on this in a minute), perhaps we could undertake a massive renovation project to modernize the Vic while keeping key architecturially preseved by blending it into a new design. I don't know if it's feasible or if building a super hospital is simply a better option.

When I hear about "Super Hospital" - expected to be built in 2014. Bets anyone if that will happen? - I keep thinking a cape will be sewn around it. As if all our problems will be whisked away under a modern structure to keep up with the times. It also conjures up other metaphors like "Super Bureaucracy" and "Super Taxes" and "Super Mismanagement."

The idea of a new mega medical Wal-Mart sounds interesting and I want to believe it will be all for the good but really, it's not like the original blue print went perfectly. The proponents talk a good game with all their sexy buzz words like "patient-centric" - which makes me wonder what the heck was it before if not patient oriented? Cost- centric? Did someone suddenly snap his finger in a hospital cafeteria while wolfing down terrible food shout, "I got it! We're a hospital, right? And hospitals are filled with people - sick people, right? Ok. follow me. It should then follow we focus our energies on, get this, PEOPLE! Next thing you know, high-fives and big fat thumb-ups are exchanged and the douche is promoted.

The major problem I have with this thing is most of the talk is on the "brick and mortar" with a lot of assumptions thrown in between. It's like a bunch of drunk guys talking about putting a softball league without much thought to the particulars: Like, can we play? Do we have enough guys? Which league will we join? What level? Who will sponsor us? Who will get the equipment? Will we have cheerleaders and groupies? Can we drink beer as we play? Maybe we should play hard ball instead? Will Pierre play since he's the best player in town? Etc.

Very little talk about what's going to be inside and how we'll achieve better service is discussed. We have doctor, nurse, equipment and bed shortages and I've yet to hear a comprehensive and enlightened plan of action to remedy this.Again to borrow another analogy, it reminds me of separatists who take for granted all they say will take place once they split,  actually take place. There's no reason to accept their assumptions at face value. I've never really seen a real, I mean real, document clearly and decisively explaining how we'd be better off and what steps will be taken to tackle practical issues brought up over the years. It's the "let's separate and we'll see" philosophy and I ain't buying into it.

I'm not optimistic because the government is just coming around to realizing the mess they've made of education and that's a simple issue next to health care!

This "built it and they will come and everthing will work itself out" approach will lead us into a super nightmare I reckon.
 
***

Speaking of tearing down architecturial gems, twenty years ago my family visited Italy and France. In Genoa we met up with a man at the behest of a friend (I think) who took us on a mini-tour. He was an annoying, condescending European twit not unlike you see on TV, meet in person or read in the papers about how great fucking Europe is and how young, impetuous and ignorant the new world is. Blah, blah, blah.

He kept saying in a mocking tone how much we "American drink Coke" with our meals. Pft. I never drink Coke. Or Pepsi for that matter. I don't drink soft drinks, really. Ok, the occasional Ginger-Ale, 7up and Sprite but that's it. Anyway. It was like, "what's up with this douchetard?" Well, my brother-in-law had enough. As we overlooked the picturesque and colorful apartments nestled on bridges and hills, the man continued on about the superiour-es-ness of Europe and asked my brother-in-law, "what-a doyou-a think-a? You don't-a have-a this-a in-a America-a, right-a? To which he answered, "No, we don't. That's because I'd tear all that crap down and put up modern condos."

The look on the guy's face was priceless even as I slapped my hand to my forehead. I'm not sure what happened to him afterwards but I'm sure we sang "na,na,na,na - na,na,na,na - hey, hey, hey, good-bye!"

I later asked my brother-in-law why he said it, and he replied, "He bugged the shit out of me. But I really would put up condos here."

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/22/2010

    Love the story. I do that sort of thing, or pull the looney guy thing sometimes. At least the annoying or the true nutjobs find someone else to irritate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, he's known for that.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.