2010-04-10

Bittersweet News

The good news is the engineer was able to recover my data. Out of 235 million something (I forgot the term), I think its data circuits only 129 (that is one hundred twenty-nine not 129 million) were destroyed. The bad? It'll cost me $700. I had no choice for I needed those files and emails for my business.

Even though that's a miniscule number there's still a kernel of concern it may fall under the stuff I need! Not likely given the probabilities...nonetheless.

Vigilance out of fear is subordinate to vigilance borne of experience. I shall explain. It's one thing to intellectually say to yourself you have to back up, to use this example, your files for fear of losing them. But fear is like fighting the wind. You don't even know for sure if you'll be bitten. It's like taking out insurance for stuff you may never need. So what happens? We procrastinate or take our time. In my case, I backed up on a CD but that was six months ago. Now that I know what it actually feels like to lose critical things and it cost me to retrieve it, it makes me hyper-vigilant. I don't ever want to be in that predicament again and it surely taught me a lesson about what I need to do with my business.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/11/2010

    If you simply can not, for whatever reason, make frequent backups yourself, do subscribe to Mozy, or Carbonite to do it for you.

    https://mozy.com/

    These services really do work and they don't keep you from making additional backups to other media yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking into Caronite when this happened. That's the shitty thing. I'm just gonna do two things: Buy a back up hard drive and copy to discs.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.