2010-04-17

From Old Dominion To Lower Canada

Zeus is Watching (though I always wonder what exactly. The NHL playoffs?) enlightens readers with a post about the American South.

A couple of comments by he and Paul captured my attention.

Paul:

"This reminds me of a conversation I had back in 1967 ot Salvo campground in North Carolina’s Outerbanks. I was chatting with an about 20 years of age campground employee while shaving. At one point I told him:”Donald, hearing you talk you’d think the Secession war is not over”; he shot back:”You’re dang right it ain’t”. But that was 43 years ago. He must be around 60 today. I wonder if he still thinks the same way?"

Zeus - still watching I presume:

"The one I’ve heard not long ago is “Lee surrendered. We didn’t.”

I had to chime in with my nickel and dime in the thread as well. These comments, I reckon, can be applied to Quebec as well with a different twist. I've heard nationalists/secessionists/patriotes say in different variations that while Quebec's original signatories officially made Quebec a province within the Dominion of Canada, they didn't."

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/18/2010

    Troublemaker:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Il cativo call me.

    Nonetheless, I still see interesting parallels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw. the handle "zeusiswatching" hearkens back to my local pol days when on a discussion forum someone bitching about too much police power raised the oft quoted question "if the centurions guard the city who guards the centurions?"

    I though his argument specious anyway, but I responded to the question with "Zeus is watching." It got some laughs from the more erudite on the forum. Since a few of my blogging buddies worked with or knew me back in the day when I was an activist type, I turned the reply into a blog title and went with it, statue picture, and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good story. I too sometimes, admitedly, into the "who will guard the guardians" line from time to time.

    Juvenal was quite the satirist.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.