2009-01-02

Life's Cold Hard Reality

Today I braved the vicious winter cold to venture off and pick up some provisions. As I walked into the store, the mother of a childhood friend of mine was walking out with her head down readying herself for the gush of cold wind about to blast her.

I had a split second to decide if I was going to say hello. And just like that I was in the store and she was gone.

A couple of reasons played into it. -21c degree weather doesn't help. The other was the fact I was uncertain if she'd remember me. She hasn't seen me in at least 15 years. Yet, for at least 16 years she was the mother of one of my best friends. I no longer keep in touch with him but we remained connected through "the gang."

Excuses. I know. Just as quickly the harsh reality of the cold bites into your bones, my imagination transported me back to younger and more innocent times.

It's odd (if not sad) how we still feel afraid or at least shy to approach someone who accepted you into their home, fed you and had conversations with you (though limited since she only spoke Sicilian dialect. A dialect I didn't understand.)

Oh well.

Man, it's cold outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.