2009-01-31

Call Me Old Fashioned

Or plain tight-butted.

Whatever.

I went to pick-up Szechuan at a local restaurant this evening and observed three people eating with various hats and caps on.

It annoyed me. There they sat. All unaware of their impolite ignorance. Public spaces used to be inhabited by common politesse and sense of style. Today, all is game. It's a sign of progress I'm told. Maybe it is. However, I would much rather we maintain some sense of etiquette in establishments like restaurants and other social places.

Since I'm on the subject. During my university days the way some people dressed for class was downright disrespectful. There's "casual" and then there's "casual." Shorts and torn jeans should never be accepted. It made the school look second-rate.

Furthering this mild rant, years ago I accompanied a friend to court. He was contesting a traffic ticket. As we waited for his turn, an unshaven man (as opposed to woman. Ooo) was dressed in cargo shorts, sandals and stood with his hands in his pockets with a lackadaisical posture. He looked like he was ready to go on an African safari or to the beach. It was ridiculous. In fact, I remember watching him and thinking to myslelf, "he looks ridiculous."

Sure enough, after he won his case, the judge removed his glasses and took him to task. He warned him to never dress that way in a court of law again.

When I worked at the bank, our bosses decided to loosen up and grant "caz" Fridays. It was welcomed after a full week of neckties and suits. It's not like people were going to notice; we were mutual fund reps on the phone. Nevertheless, I understood the bank's position. We represented the top bank in the country.

The experiment didn't last long. It was as if people lost their common sense and went mad. They were walking in like the chap I mentioned in the court scene. All they were missing were a bag of peanuts, swiss army knives, suntan lotion and beach umbrellas.

Needless to say, the act wore thin on the managers and casual Friday was stopped.

Call me what you want. Learning to apply appropriate attire takes class and discipline. An art form I fear long gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.