2009-01-20

Ain't That America Part II

I've grown tired of people calling musicians who take a political stance as anti-American. Look, I'm the last guy to be easily impressed by half the things artists say but you'll never hear me say, a) they're traitors and b) something, something. I forget.

I've grown accustomed to them taking shots at conservatives even though there may be conservatives in the crowd who paid good money to see them.

John Mellencamp, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Sting etc. are all great musicians. The first two are among my all-time favorites and the most willing to discuss the American experience through their music. They're far from any of things people say they are. Rather, they simply question parts of American life they feel should be better. Sort of like how I criticize Quebec and Canada. It's not because I hate this place, it's because I expect - wait, demand - more from us.

All in all, I think this is what most musicians are trying to say. Ironically, for all their abstract thinking they can be rather partisan though.

In the past, Mellencamp wrote about and against Bush and Reagan. But I ask, would he write about Obama if he did something he disagree with? I don't think they're as prepared to be critical of "their" guy. That's just my suspicion.

I love this song. Here's another irony. 'Ain't that America' is not a jingo-patriotic song but meant to be a critical commentary. Yet, Mellencamp is being quintessentially American by challenging...something. I forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.