2009-01-06

The Angels Are Coming

I have a three-year old daughter.

She has a sense of humor .

She's smart too. Spells her own name and other words, likes to rhyme and pull out the "Led."

She's notorious in her stubborn ways and knows what she wants and likes. The other day I discovered she loves spaghetti alla carbonara.

She's also left-handed like her pa. This makes her perfect in my eyes.

She possesses a beautiful heart - like her mother. Some people can't fake their way through life even if they could. These two are not only compassionate but happy to just be alive.

She has taken an active concern in other people's misery. Whenever commercials for sick or poor children come on she stops what she's doing, quietly walks to the TV and listens attentively.

She then begins to ask questions. She wants to help.

She also has a (comfortable) sense of life and death - ironically, her mother's Masters thesis was on how children cope with death.

Her great grandmother died this past November at the age of 100. Lucky her; she got to witness three years of those. Yet, in such a short time, nanan left her mark on this little girl.

As I sat and watched cartoons babysitting her (God bless Foghorn Leghorn) she disappeared into her play area. I lay mesmerized by 'Horns blustering dixie loud mouth'd shnook ways. I was snapped out of my trance when she presented me with a letter.

"Daddy, the angels were supposed to come a get this card."

I just stared at her confused.

She continued.

"The angels have to give this letter to nanan, daddy. Can you make sure they come?"

I was stunned.

"I will," I said.

"Please. It's for nanan."

This moment reminded me of a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song called 'Into My Arms.'

And I don't believe in the existence of angels
But looking at you I wonder if that's true
But if I did I would summon them together
And ask them to watch over you
To each burn a candle for you
To make bright and clear your path
And to walk, like Christ, in grace and love
And guide you into my arms

Into my arms, O Lord




You're one priceless child Lauren-Alessandra.

"...in Gaza tonight..."

5 comments:

  1. Touching. You sound like a very blessed man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cato. I got one side of the social paradigm cornered. Now to figure out the business side of things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hail and well met, Commentator.

    I've been away for so long, just dropped by to see if you still existed in these "series of tubes."

    My condolences on your loss. I was originally going to comment because my last post (is it January already?) covered a similar theme. I'd apologize for selfish promotion, but I don't ever update, and only ever get Google-search stumbles anymore!

    The deal-clincher was the Nick Cave link. I know very few people who know who he is, much less know his music. You never cease to astound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW - slick new look. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear ole Californie friend, KOM. Welcome back!

    I will visit your post. I'm sure it will be as entertaining and stimulating as usual. Never apologize for shameless plugs. It's the way of the world I'm told.

    Yeah, she was a special lady. Sharp as a tact. Lived on her own until she was 99. To see her mind deteriorate like it did so quickly was scary.

    Nick Cave: Yet, Ashlee Simpson is popular. Go figure.

    Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.