2013-05-22

Emelin Undergoes ACL Surgery

Montreal Canadiens talented, hard hitting Russian defenseman Alexei Emelin underwent MCL and ACL surgery. They are targeting a return in six months.

Six months!

Crazy.

For ACL rehab is traditionally one year. I kinda get 10 months but you're asking for trouble if you want to be back in just six months. The ACL comes with its own 'nervous system' which can take up to two years to come back - if at all.

I don't get these rushed comebacks. I must be missing something.

***

My first ACL surgery in 1991 I was kept off putting weight on the leg for three months. By my second surgery in 2003, the 'advancement' was that doctors allowed for placing weight on it, in fact, it was encouraged. Which makes sense since it doesn't affect the ACL as that ligament deals more with lateral movements.

However, my doctor - a sports doctor - said you "could" play sports in the six to eight month range but he wasn't sure if that was such a good thing. To play it safe, one year was better. Granted, I didn't have millions of dollars at stake for the athlete and organization and pressure to get back into it, but nature is nature and it would be wise to 'play it safe' because ACL recoveries are long and arduous. Why risk going through it a second time? Get it done right the first time.

The best way to do that is to let it heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.