2010-06-17

La Violence

We violence in every crevice and corner now. The school my daughter attends is so terrified of its shadow they see violence in everything. "Oh no madame, la violence!" This is what I thought about when I read this story about a boy sent home for making a hat for hat day out of toy soldiers with tiny guns to honor U.S. troops. Dunno about you but when I was a kid I had millions of those little green toy soldiers and I turned out (relatively speaking) alright.

Here's the thing. You can't fight violence this way. Banning or limiting freedom of expression is not a means to creating a peaceful society, it's a sure path to tyranny. Crooked and violent people have and always will exist. If anything, if I'm a kid with a penchant for violent or a person seeking a life of crime I'm loving all this. More soft people to terrorize. I'm no psychologist. I'm just saying.

2 comments:

  1. We have gone overboard with that violence thing. It's not worse than it was just that we are more aware of it and the media relish in publishing it because it sells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you may be correct.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.