2010-06-29

Freedom Of Choice Prevails

Some sanity was restored to Quebec's schools. Private schools will not be forced to teach the ethics and religious course. Two reasons why I like this. One, private schools are just that: Private. People pay to have their kids educated in a particular way. They exercise their rights through their wallets. It's not the state's business to infringe on this. If they want to go and muck up the public system (which they have) be my guest.

Two, I've been hearing a lot of bull about how Catholic schools teach religion. That it somehow teaches us to be bigoted and to believe there is only one and true religion. Aside from the fact all religions do this, it hardly has effected my and my friends outlook about life. I never recall language that was anywhere near damaging towards other religion - and this was in the public system.

It's insulting to think we're incapable of rationalizing what's being taught to us. No one believe (s) there's only one true religion and if the folks at Loyola believe this so be it - IT'S A PRIVATE INSTITUTION.

The reasoning behind pushing the paternalistic course was faulty in my view and was based on some serious assumptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.