2010-06-22

Daycare Update

So. There I sat as the government asked me, a private entrepreneur, for all sorts of documents (in addition, to the many I've already given) in order to process my request for a permit.

It was a great meeting I must admit. Laid back and filled with laughs. They seemed determined to be efficient too - to the extent the government can be. I submitted my request in April. They told me it would take up to 60 days just to review the plans and request and surprisingly stayed within that time frame.

Now, I have to wait to adjust my architectural plans (for a second time from a second source; the first was with the municipality my day care will be and the second with the provincial government). All little things but they add up to lost time. Once that's done, I wait again for the final word. So far, it could have gone worse, but it could have gone faster. As a pragmatist, I just have to accept it. As an entrepreneur with libertarian leanings, I can only philosophically moan about it.

As the bureaucrats piled on the list of documents (I need a permit to for outside toys) they requested, I phased out for a couple of seconds pretending I was in a comedy sketch.

True to my personality, I made a cute harmless remark about all the paper work which elicited a laugh and a response. It was designed to get one too. In my days at the bank, I wasn't allergic to speaking out.

In French one of them replied:

"Yes, it's a bit excessive and yes our social network is expensive but it accords us a great way of life."

There you go.

You were saying you wanted to reduce the size of government? I tell you what, the pyschological angle to our social welfare programs is poweful. They honestly believe all this is necessary. It may or may not. Hard to disprove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.