2009-11-15

Roe v. Wade: Not As Clear Minded And Progressive As We Think?

This blog only started getting its legs, despite being set up in late 2004, in 2006. I wasn't really sure of what I wanted to accomplish. I still don't. One thing I do like to do is link to other articles and ideas that I deem to be overlooked, enlightening and imporant.

Sometimes, on my long, lonely internet journeys, I come across older, archived articles that still maintain and pack a mean punch.

So is the case with L.A. Times writer David G. Savage in an article titled. "Roe Ruling: More than its author intended."

I never could quite get A) how abortion came to be a zero-sum game with a final arugmentative destination for supporters and proponents of it and B) how it came to be how other parties of importance were weeded out of the equation when it came to making an abortive decision. I don't know why it's framed as a black and white question either.

Years ago, my friend, who was always in politics, asked me if I was "for or against" abortion and when I began with something other than a "yes or no" he interrupted and said, "you're either for it or against it." He was for it because he felt people were going to get them anyway and better to ensure they do it properly. Another reason for it was bringing in a baby into this world when the person is incapable of raising it only drains society and the economy and is likely to result in crime.

To me that always seemed like a stretch if not a false dilemma. Man, to take that leap was/is something I'm not willing to take. Imagine if Stephen Hawking's mother decided to have an abortion! Then the world wouldbe deprived of his genius mind. I don't believe all abortions to be bad nor do I feel all abortions should be allowed.

The article is informative and filled with revelations about that controversial law came to pass in 1973.

I'm not surprised it emerged from confusion and fortunate circumstances. We'd like to believe it came about from sound legal, medical and even moral clarity, but it looks like it wasn't.

***

Incidentally, there have been over 49 million abortions since 1973. I wonder if studies have been made to follow women after they had abortions - post-abortion consequences (if there any) that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.