2009-09-04

Obama Sparks Healthy National Discourse

I've been following the national health care debate in the United States. I read and listen to conservatives, liberals, mainstream media, C-Span and everything in between. Leaving aside the confusion on all sides, I will take a chance and say that the most interesting conversations have been on the conservative side. And no, I don't mean Hannity and Limbaugh but the more mild conservative talk shows like Dennis Miller. I just don't hear dubious Garofalo type "this is racially driven" claims.

If Michael Steele, Walter. E Williams, Chris Rock, Bill Crosby and so on are critical of Obama how does this effect her assertion? It basically renders it pointless. Her claim presupposes there are no fair criticisms outside the prism of race. Again, a most anti-intellectual statement she makes. And when did she become a political pundit anyway?

I get the feeling conservatives are exploring every single option and angle about the debate (as conservatives are annoyingly apt to do) while liberals are preaching to the choir because they're convinced Obama's plan is the way to go. I'm not saying they're wrong, it just makes for less engaging parlance.

As such, the range of considerations are wider on the conservative side.

***

The President deserves credit. I don't know how much of it was by design but it doesn't matter. The national discussion and the grass root reaction to Obamcare has forced Americans to examine their health care system once and for all. It's almost, dare I say, cathargic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.