2009-09-02

I HATE The HRC

Is this a hate crime? Really, I do. I hate the HRC. The fact that it repeatedly has to remind us of how "democratic" they are and how much we "need" them is enough to realize the HRC is pointless and misguided.

It's time to reign in and put the human rights commission out of its misery before it's too late.

The appropriately named Jennifer Lynch - Lynch? Strange Fruit anyone? - head Chick of the Human Rights Kangaroo court offered her perspective laced and foamed with splendid niceties attempting to justify her private solar system.

Here are some excerpts from an article she penned in the Globe. Her words in bold. My words in plain text. Because I'm true and austere that way.

Some who disagree with this notion would have Canada weaken its human-rights system, taking the view that freedom of expression is the paramount right in Canadian society, over and above the right of all citizens to be protected from the harm that can be caused by hate messages.

"Some" as in who exactly? I use that word too and it annoys me enough to deliberately inflict a paper cut between my toes. As if I went door to door dividing up who were "some" and who were "many" and who were "most."

Why is the concept of "human rights" reduced to a "system" for her? Human rights is not a system no matter how we try. It's an ethereal objective of humanity. We march towards it not in any calculated form but in a loose confederation of vices and virtues competing with one another.

Human rights commissions, aim to act as a middleman in the laws of human nature. It's a fight it can't engage in not because it's winnable or losable but because it's too big for them to comprehend let alone reduce to a simple computation.

Freedom of expression is fundamental to the human spirit. In a democracy, we MUST value it. We must be vigilant and vigorous in its defense. If a society is truly progressive, honorable and moralistic, it will be able to absorb and spit out all evil messages not compatible with it.

An unelected "system" has no right to charge itself with the responsibility to determine what is hate and what is not. The part in blue is especially disturbing. What's the mechanism ensuring the HRC doesn't abuse its power and go after simple free speech? Judging by its decision to go after MacLean's, Ezra Levant and Mark Steyn, I'll have to conclude the HRC is basically full of shit.

It is up to legislators and courts to find the appropriate balance that best protects the human rights and freedoms of all citizens.

Not the people. Heaven forbid. Of course balance entails citizens giving up - or at least compromising their personal freedoms.

Canadians expect fairness and efficiency from their human-rights system, and we must continue to offer both.

Wal-Mart handbook lingo aside, what recourse do we have if you fail? How does an apathetic society like Canada get to toss unelected officials who get a little chunky in the trunk; who amass junk in the trunk?

Funny. I don't recall EVER being consulted by organizations like the HRC or even CRTC. To me, they're ILLEGITIMATE. Which means, in the case of the intergalactic human rights system, Jennifer Lynch does NOT represent me.

However, I believe critics of human-rights commissions and tribunals are manipulating information and activities around rights cases and freedom of expression to further a new agenda. This agenda posits that rights commissions and tribunals, and the attendant vigilance over all the rights and freedoms Canadians now enjoy, no longer serve a useful purpose. In this way, the debate over freedom of expression has been used as a wedge to undermine and distort our human-rights system.

Blah. But will Mickey Mantle pay my rent at the end of the month? Easy there O'Neil. I know you're a little uneasy with MY system: the system of freedom of expression. You make this very clear. Incidentally, did you go after the artist who lampooned Jesus Christ a few years back? Something tells me "hate" art and crime against Christianity means little. I could be wrong.

Moving along, you "believe" should not be used as proof we're manipulators or being manipulated. The only wedge I see is the two by four you insist on walloping me with off the side of my head.

Again with that "system." What bloody system?

Ensuring the promotion and protection of human rights is a responsibility that belongs to all of us. Our diverse and inclusive society was created through a commitment to equality, dignity and rights. We have come a long way, but we cannot afford to relax our vigilance or declare victory. Together, we must ensure that those who are the most vulnerable in our society are not further marginalized.

Which people have been "marginalized" by hate speech? Jews? Muslims? People with polka dot faces? Where are the reports? I'm of Italian heritage, lemme tell ya, there's plenty of people who say bad things about Italians, does this make me "marginalized?" Do you care? Actually, I don't care if you do. I don't need to go to a "system" to protect me. Quite frankly, I have bigger problems if I take offense to someone calling me a "conniving garlic-eating wop." Hey, it may even be true.

Together? Together? Look toots, I'm sure you're great to share a bottle of Lumbrusco with and even a laugh over 'South Park' but I don't know you and you're not elected. Therefore, you don't exist. Which reminds me of this touching scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey:

Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave Bowman: Where the hell'd you get that idea, HAL?
HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.
Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore. Open the doors.
HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
HAL: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

[HAL's shutdown]
HAL: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.
Dave Bowman: Yes, I'd like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.
HAL: It's called "Daisy."
[sings while slowing down]
HAL: Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.

In case you haven't made the connection. Lynch is Hal. Except in my version, she breaks out in Vaudevillian song.

If Lynch feels her role is important, why not take it to the Canadian people? Let's see if we elect her or permit the HRC to exist. If we do, then by all means she will have earned her mandate.

Until then, get out of the way of human progress.

Hitting a miscreant like a horny moose on a booty call with a Smart car can prove costly; if not tragic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.