2013-08-14

Title Of The Day

"Coming Up Short: Working-Class Adulthood in an Age of Uncertainty." 

Shoot. Here I though "age of uncertainty" was something that always existed.

I guess my immigrant father operated in an age of certainty when he came to Canada.

Not surprising the Boston Globe would latch on this.

"Silva, who is now at Harvard University on a postdoctoral fellowship, set out to talk with some of these young people about how they were managing the transition to adulthood in the post-industrial economy. In 100 in-depth, in-person interviews, she found a new working-class adult “bewildered in the labor market, betrayed by institutions, distrustful of love, disconnected from others, and committed to emotional growth.” 

I think the term is "loner." Some may even say "autistic."

Who hasn't been bewildered in the labor market. Jesus Christ, Poles in coal mines, Italians in textile factories and Chinese on railroads must have been pretty damn "bewildered." Guess what? They didn't really have choices did they? Yet, they managed to establish strong family ties in which their kids were able to benefit in the next generation.

Betrayed by institutions, I wonder how? I know I feel betrayed by our tax system but the masters tell me this is an "extreme" position to take. What are talking about here exactly?

Bah. I don't feel like getting into the rest of this nonsense.

I have to work, grow my business, and pay off debts.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.