2010-01-18

The Commentator's List Of Amorous Songs

Someone asked me what were some of the best love songs I've heard up to this point in my life. My definition of love is pretty broad so don't pull a "that's not a real love song" crap on me.

Here goes in no particular order and by no means exhaustive. I suppose if I consult my record collection this list can double:

1) You send me - Sam Cooke 
2) Here, there and everywhere - The Beatles
3) God only knows - The Beach Boys
4) Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison
5) (Your love keeps lifting me) Higher and higher - Jackie Wilson  
6) Into my arms - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
7) Blue Sky - The Allman Brothers Band
8) Our love is here to stay - Ella Fitzgerald
9) Rosalita - Bruce Springsteen
10) Alison - Elvis Costello 
11) My one and only love - John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
12) Softly - Billie Holiday
13) I can't wait to get off work - Tom Waits
14) Valentine's Day - Bruce Springsteen
15) Girl friend - Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
16) Sweet Thing - Van Morrison
17) Into the mystic - Van Morrison
18) Someone saved my life tonight - Elton John - Ok, not quite the definition of a "love song" but great still.
19) At last - Etta James
20) Going to Carolina - James Taylor
21) Love lives here - Faces
22) In my life - The Beatles
23) Thank you - Dido
24) Thank you - Led Zeppelin
25) Keep me in your heart - Warren Zevon
26) They can't take that away from me- Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
27) They can't take that away from me - Tony Bennett and Elvis Costello
28) Fly me to the moon - Frank Sinatra
29) Buona sera - Louis Prima
30) Signed, sealed, delivered (I'm yours) - Stevie Wonder
31) Midnight train to Georgia - Gladys Knight and the Pips
32) We'll be together - The Supremes
33) Sugar, Sugar - The Archies/Andy Kim
34) My girl - The Temptations
35) Funiculi, finicula - Luciano Pavarotti or Sergio Franchi - Again,not purely a love song but it can be!
36) Volare - Domenico Modugno or Dean Martin
37) Oh, pretty woman - Roy Orbison
38) I'm into something good - Herman's Hermits
39) Happy together- The Turtles
40) Angie - The Rolling Stones
41) Come go with me - The Dell-Vikings
42) Sea of love - Phil Phillips
43) Stay - Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs (Jackson Browne cover in 1977)
44) Singin' in the rain - Gene Kelly
45) You're nobody 'til someone loves you - Dean Martin
46) Don't wait too long - Madelaine Peyroux
47) La vie en rose - Edith Piaf
48) Words of love - Buddy Holly
49) Kimberly - Patti Smith
50) Farther on down the road - Taj Mahal
51) I walk the line - Johnny Cash
52) Melissa - The Allman Brothers Band

Of course, there's other classics like 'Bridge over troubled water,' 'Chelsea Morning' and 'Moon River, but I had to stop somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.