2009-03-26

Give Yourself A Writing Chance

I never did and I'm paying the price in terms of "what the heck was I thinking?"

It's not like people didn't try. Here are some examples - and I loosely quote in some cases.

After grabbing me by the neck and shoving me against the locker my English teacher in high school said, "Why are you fucking around? You have a talent and you're messing it up."

High school, English teacher to my mother (my father was busy running a business) during parent-teacher night, "That boy can write. He can be destined for great things."

I said I loosely quote.

Private college (fancy way of saying prep school for boys doing the Titanic) English professor, Prof: "Can I speak with you?"
Me: "Sure."
Prof: "Just wanted to say this was one of the finest term papers I've read in a long while."
Me: "Burp."

Private college history professor when asked by a student who among us dopes had a hope in University: "You, you..." Long pause. "And definitely you." Pointing at me.

At this point, I still didn't get it or bothered to listen. I remained indifferent because I was incapable of connecting to it. I still didn't know what the fuss was about. I just wrote. I took it for granted that everyone could do the same.

University Latin America history professor, "I would like to read out three very impressive essays." One of those was mine. Hee-haw!

University professor Early Canadian History, "I fail to understand what you're trying to do." Wait. Scratch that. Bitch.

University professor Canadian history to class, "You better know how to write if you want a high grade with me." I got an "A."

University professor political science, "Wow." "A+" German political science professor who held his students in contempt..."A."

National Post columnist, "you should write for us. Seriously. If not, in some medium because we need good writers in this world."

Education counselor, "I can't believe you're not employed in this field."

Radio show host, "Who are you? This is hysterical!" Jim Rome once picked one of my letters as letter of the day.

Magazine editor, "You've got the goods. I'll give you a shot." I'll forever be grateful. She saw beyond the raw talent and made my article a feature.

Montreal Gazette, "We can't use this." Bastards. Bull shit.

Local magazine editor, "You wrote this? Outstanding."

Legendary Hollywood script writer on my script, "There's a beat, rough and remarkable feel to this."

Former television show host on Bravo who upon reading my review of Andy Kim called Kim and claimed my post was the "finest rock review he's ever read." Kim felt it important to tell me.

"You write? You make money?" Construction worker. I answered in the affirmative even if it wasn't true. He was holding a drill and a two-by-four. I wasn't about to disappoint.

"Effortless, simple, concise communicative skills." I forget who said that.

An editor at Harper's actually took the time to send me a private note telling me how much he enjoyed one of my fiction stories but it wasn't right for Harper's. Moral victory.

I could go on and on. So far all I've got to show is this blog.

But don't let this be you! Head to tvwriter.com and get a move on! The person behind the site is Larry Brody (go ahead read his bio) and he happens to be a great friend to all writers. If you're thinking of joining the television ranks I strongly suggest you go here. I promise you won't regret it. You owe it to yourself to explore your inner-writer.

Go on. Get outta here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.