2008-08-13

Who Owns The Zeitgeist?

I've noticed the word zeitgeist is a popular choice for conspiracy theorists and the outright unhinged these days. I get an awful lot of emails from friends attempting to "educate" me about "history" as it's interpreted by God knows who.

It's insulting but I know they're just trying to save me. From what I'm unceratin. Apparently, my lack of conviction in all things conspiratorial means I help feed the darkness of evil and ignorance.

Knowledge is power I'm told and with it comes a link to some tired argument about something incomprehensible because it's hard to read through the hyperbole.

A less popular dictum I've seen (mis) used is how Occam's Razor and how it relates and pertains to 9/11. It seems Occam's Razor is used to prove that there was a conspiracy. When in fact, OR probably would conclude that the most likely answer is that a few Arabs (I forget how many) hijacked planes and flew them into two buildings driven by political-religious fanaticism.

All to arrange a blind date with 72 lousy virgins I might add.

The funny thing about intelligent philosophical principles is that it can be molded to fit any position andm still make perfect sense. In other words, we can twist and steer clear of its original intent and meaning so as to meet a prevailing belief.

Again, I ask.

Who owns the zeitgeist?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.