2008-08-21

I Ain't Ever Satisfied And God Knows It

I saw Steve Earle live back in 1991. I think. The night at Theatre St. Denis was marked by a gay man with a thin mustache making overt passes at me. It was so blatant I couldn't contain my giggling but my girlfriend at the time felt insecure enough to hold me in a possessive lock.

Man did she make sure I was happy later on.

Earle is possibly one of the last true country-rock singer/songwriters before country went pop. I read somewhere a few years back that he sells more records here in Quebec than anywhere in North America. Quebec is also the one place (in the world I think) where Pepsi outsells Coke.

Who says we're not "distinct?"

The first Steve Earle song and album I ever bought was 'I ain't ever satisfied' (video here)from Exit 0. But Copperhead Road was Earle's piece de resistance in my opinion.

Not feeling satisfied is a terrible feeling. It's one that I've lived with as far back as I can remember.

As Earle sings,

Last night I dreamed I made it to the promise land I was standin' at the gate and I had the key in my hand Saint Peter said "Come on in boy, you're finally home" I said "No thanks Pete, I'll just be moving along"

Sounds a whole lot like me - and many others I'm sure.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.