2012-03-11

ACL Injury Watch

Minnesota Timberwolves point guard Ricky Rubio is the latest NBA player to sustain an ACL tear. It happened Friday night against the L.A Lakers.

Before I go on, when I took a few writing (and even one journalism) course over the years. one thing that was hammered into students was the importance of the Five W's (what, where, when, why, who and how. I added another W: Whatever). The facts of the story had to be explained as early as possible in the article. So I was told.

That left an impression. So much so that I noticed sports articles rarely get the facts out in a timely manner. Just my observation. For example, I looked for, in this ESPN article, when and where Rubio was injured. It made mention of the injury and then when off into a "aw, man what a bad break" tangent.

I located it at SI.

This happens a lot at ESPN. I mention this because those who break the rules are the ones that do the hiring. Little hirelings trying to catch their break in sports writing will be held to basic standards even though the preachers often become lazy and sloppy writers.

All those resources and so many fragmented W's. P-shaw, p-shaw. Just my take. I can't comment further.

Anyway, this caught my eye from the ESPN link about Rubio's injury:

"...A date for surgery has not yet been set, but team president David Kahn said he fully expected Rubio to be back for the start of next season..."

The NBA season begins in October. Meaning Rubio's rehab will last a mere seven months? For ACL?

It used to be, and from what I still understand, rehab demanded a full 12 month cycle. Where is this seven month rehab coming from? I haven't come across medical journals explaining new techniques in ACL surgery can reduce rehab.

I'll be watching this out of curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.