2011-02-05

Some Recipes

My daughter adores this dish and find myself making it often enough. I like it because it combines a good dose of protein, carbs and dairy in one dish.

I make it a little differently; never used garlic. I'm going to try it next time. Also, I cook the egg with the pasta on their own and then combine it with the onion, pancetta mixture. Like Chuck, I don't use cream and neither should you. It's not a real carbonara using it. I've also been to restaurants who use North American bacon. It's not the same thing. Bacon is too smokey for such a dish. I made it with bacon once and felt it took away from the spirit of a true carbonara. I definitely use parmiggiano. I don't buy pecorino (sheep cheese) often but we often have gran padano or other similar cheeses and mix it.

Last, I try to use spaghetti as much as possible but I'm not a zealot about it. I've used bucatini, fettucine and even short pastas like farfalli and rigatoni (my daughter loves those). Hey, sometimes you just have to be pragmatic about it.

Garnish? I use whole crushed black pepper and fresh parsely.



Chef Chuck cracks another one of my favorite: Saltimbocca. You can make it with chicken or veal.

I once made a variation of this recipe that included seasonal figs. Not the biggest fig fan but in a veal involtini or saltimbocca, it's divine.

Check out Chef Chuck for many interesting takes on Italian classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.