2010-08-01

Summer/Autumn Reading

I never disclosed what books I read on my blog. I don't know why. Maybe because I don't think most people give a donkey's ass. But I've decided to change this arbitrary policy. So here goes. A list of books sitting on my book shelf waiting to be read with these eyes.

Currently reading: Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes. Impressions so far? I wonder if I'd name my son Leviathan.

Also reading The American Scholar and The Believer at the same time.

On the shelf:

1) Walden - Henry David Thoreau
2) Moneyball - Michael Lewis - Always was impressed with the Oakland A's.
3) Democracy in America - Alexis de Tocqueville - Found it for 5 bucks in a small book store in Delaware.
4) The Black Swan - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
5) Science Matters - Hazen/Trefil. I happen to believe if you're ignorant of science basics you're useless and I raise my hand being Igno-rant #1.
6) Cicero - Anthony Everitt.
7) The Shadow - Pulp comic dramas from the 1930s.
On the horizon:

The Conservative Mind - Kirk
Anything from Moliere
Giambatista Vico

I also complement this with reference readings and Sudoku.

There you go.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting.

    Believe it or not, I've been considering something similar. Partly just to keep a record for myself of the books I'm reading, have read recently, or am about to read.

    Some good choices you've got there. Do you read much fiction?


    I'm currently reading Thoreau's The Maine Woods and working my way to Walden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go into violent mood swings with fiction. One year without and one year with. I read a lot of it online and in magazines like The American Scholar. I try to mix it up a little including grahpic novels. I'm just not one of those who has to buy "collections" of things. Too much of a scatter brain.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.