2014-05-28

Why I Will Or Can Never Use Public Transit

Every other day the topic of the day is the need to improve public transit in order to get people to use it more.

The push to convince people to get out of their cars and into the tight, impersonal confines of public transit is a gentle but persistent one.

It may be this constant harassing  has convinced and converted some, others have always been accustomed to using it (depending where they live) and obviously swear by it - which means they can't understand stubborn troglodytes like me don't use it.

And never will.

For many reasons. Not that I need to explain myself to anyone but here goes.

1) I live in the suburbs. It's not practical for me.
2) I live an extremely active life because of the businesses I engage in. So efficient use of time is crucial. Time is money. I need to be in my Jeep going back and forth purchasing items for my daycare among other things. Can't carry big toy houses on a bus so easily know what I mean?
3) Not interested in carrying grocery bags on a bus.
4) I'm extremely uncomfortable in crowded spaces.
5) In any event, we don't have a very accessible bus and Metro route. It's very limited. What can take me 15 minutes to do in my car would take one hour using the BMW (Bus, metro, walk). I just can't spare that kind of time. Especially with a kid in many activities.
6) Not interested in dealing with semi-rude public transit workers. Had horrible experiences as a kid I'd rather forget.
7) It simply doesn't cater to my needs; my life.
8) It's unionized. Have them wear gloves and treat citizens like customers and maybe I'd consider it. Maybe not.
 9) My car has AIR-CONDITIONING and Sirius satellite radio which I enjoy.

I don't know where all this is going. I can see a day come when we'll be subjected to laws limiting the use of cars. Something like enforcing a "three-day" a week system. At which point the economy would (naturally) suffer. The economy is in our cars in many cases.

But that won't matter to the tree-hugging prog. What will matter is the use of coercion to fit their visions.

Until then, leave me alone.

I got things to do.

Like pay bills and taxes so that they can take and design policy against my interests.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.