2011-01-21

Daycare Update

I figure I'm about one month away from my grand opening. Until then, I'm taking more punches than Thomas Hearns in his hey day. I just hope I can remain standing.

The one thing I've observed that's been constant is the natural distrust of business people have. It's truly remarkable. They've been fed a load of crap to be frank.

I can only explain as it relates to me personally.

My director I hired comes from the public day care side. This private adventure is new to her and it's interesting to listen to her speak about private daycares. The prevailing attitude is that private daycare operators are in it for the money. So much greed they possess it comes at the expense of quality. Naturally, hence, the need for government involvement.

Frankly, I welcome it. Up to a point. Daycares "prends soins" of our nation's most precious commodity: Children. By its nature it should on some level involve the state. The question is to what degree? Personally, and I mean really personally, I wished we were at a stage in our evolution where man would govern on its own free of the state. I just don't know if we're there. I think, with my game plan in place, I can prove we can make it work without big brother looking over us.

While there's no doubt there are some terrible private day cares, public run day cares have had to face serious issues as well. As with all government projects, eventually the unionized worker is at odds with the state. Next thing we know, the government simply can't keep up with the costs associated with all the demands.

It's a broken record story.

In my case, I've had to embed in her mind I'm interested in first securing a stable day care of premium quality - so far as we can afford it. I'm not subsidized and so don't live in a freeloading, la-la land financial black hole. I can't really on a handout. I actually have to account for every penny.

Teaching someone that cutting or controlling cost is not evil but, well, necessary in order to survive the opening months is tough. Luckily for me, she understands. My goal and objective, as I explained to her, is to reach a point where I can offer similar perks to the state side and superior to the competition on the private side.

What's going to make me succeed (or fail)  is not whether I'm "greedy" but simply a question of values. The reason why, I believe, some day cares fail to meet high standards is not because people are "cheap" but incompetent and lack the humanistic qualities and understanding of the type of service they're engaging in.

I can see why a public official would think the former. It's what they've been fed. Malarkey, balarkey. Moreover, there's a vested interest in thinking this as it maintains a certain "we versus them" mentality with public officials on the side of the people. Humanism versus capitalism.

I merge the two and don't see how they're mutually exclusive.

What they don't compute in their minds is the presumptuousness of their positions.

In my case, my intentions are good and clear. I don't need to be spoken to in a paternalistic tone just because some a-hole messed up his or her daycare. That's life. You simply can't control things.

The government, God bless them, tries but it's a battle they can't possibly win. Or even be involved in.

Listening to some, there's no doubt we have a natural "anti-business" default switch. I see it in Obama and I see it in officials I speak to. They tolerate business as a necessary evil. They don't always see business as being an agent for good capable of improving society. They figure it must be regulated into submission.

Yes. Profits are the bottom line. That's the game. It's not an easy balance for sure. It's the grand question facing Western capitalist oriented democracies.

In my case, the type of industry I've chosen, despite the lucrative aspect, it commands I think like a public servant within a capitalist structure. I get that.

Just spare me the paternalism and assumptions of what my intentions and motives are.

Maybe I'll succeed. We'll see. But one thing is for sure...

I'm nervous.

2 comments:

  1. I sincerely hope you succeed. Getting East to met West is not easy...but there is hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci Paul. C'est sur que il y'a des murs mais rien qu'on peut pas detruire et batir avec quel'que chose de mieux.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.